Family property taken over in 1978 by Mr. Louis Chèze. The Louis Chèze Winery is located on the top of the hillside of the commune of Limony, on the right bank of the Rhône, 60 Kms south of Lyon, in the heart of the Côtes du Rhône Septentrionales vineyard. Mr. Chèze started the adventure with 1 Ha of St-Joseph and a few vines to rent. Today the estate represents 45 Ha on the prestigious appellations such as Condrieu, St-Joseph, Côte-Rôtie and Vins de Pays.
Since the year 2000, he is one of the forerunners with two winegrower friends to revive the fabulous Roman terroir of Seyssuel. Louis' determination, curiosity and rigour are of the utmost importance when it comes to monitoring the vineyard and making the wines. Each vintage is a questioning in order to obtain the quintessence of the terroirs. Numerous vintages with their particularities will delight the epicurean in you.
Cuvée elaborated since the 2007 vintage, it is a 2 hectare plot located in the Seyssuel hillsides, benefiting from a south-facing orientation.
Quartz shale and micaceous shale.
100% Viognier, 10 years old, yield of 35 Hl/Ha.
The vineyard: Reasoned vineyard management, spurting, green harvesting and manual harvesting. Selective sorting of the grapes on the vine, picking in 10 kg crates.
The winery: Berry sorting on a vibrating table, pressing, settling, then alcoholic and malolactic fermentation in barrels with stirring on the lees.
Barrels of 3 to 4 wines for 8 to 10 months depending on the vintage. Bottled without filtration in a single bottling.
- Visual appearance: Gold color.
- Olfactory appearance: Apricot nose and white flowers aromas.
- Taste: Straightforward and well-structured attack.
- Serving temperature: 8 to 11 °C.
- Food/wine pairing: Aperitif, mixed salads, white meat.
- The vintages: Always wait a few months after bottling and drink within 2 to 4 years on the fruit. For amateurs, let it age to appreciate the tertiary aromas of Viognier.